Saturday, September 25, 2010

January Man

I am angry! Why? Because I could not continue to the next chapter until I finished my first blog! I must say, that I love the novel so far. It is somewhat mysterious, weird, and breathtaking all at the same time. Pierre said that the novel was dense and hard to follow. The moment I left my Thursday's class, I immediately went to the NYU bookstore to purchase this novel since they were out of stock for a week. Once I got on the train, I opened the book and was amazed at what David Mitchell started to write and did not agree with Pierre.

The novel opens up with, "Do not set foot in my office." As Juna-Willa stated, this also leaves me to think that Jason's father is hiding something. Yet, Jason wanders into the office feeling like a "bride going into Bluebeard's chamber after being told not to" (3). The more I read, the more I envisioned myself being apart of the story. The second character we run into is "Moron" also known as Dean Moran. I immediately thought that his name signifies something. But within the first 23 pages, I am unable to figure out how much of a "moron" he is. I believe that Moran will be a main character in the novel and that I must pay close attention to him.

I predict that "Black Swan Green" will have something to do with money later on throughout the novel. I might be wrong but I predict this because Moran and Jason crossed by the Black Swan and talks about board games and money. Green means money. Hence, Black Swan "Green." Furthermore, I find the novel to be very amusing. There was various times where I would laugh aloud because Jason would tell a story to Moran. I realize that a lot of the dialogue that goes on between Jason and Moran is based upon the past.

Halfway through the first chapter, Jason mentions over six new characters. Rather, they are his friends or people inside/outside his social circle. The significance to these references might be important because they might show up again throughout the novel. I am still trying to figuring out why Mitchell would mention so many new characters.

Jason also seems to be a character with a slick mouth and disrespectful at times. When speaking to the old woman in the woods, he has a negative demeanor in his tone of voice. I suspect that Jason is a person who is rude, does not like to be told what to do, and has no respect for elders. Jason asks questions to his father which suggests that he is curious about the world around him.

When at the house in the woods, Jason discovers that he broke his grandfather's Omega watch. He said, " Grandfather's Omega'd never once gone wrong in four decades. In less than a fortnight, I'd kill it" (22). This may suggest that time is up and Jason might not make it out alive. In reference to the Game of Life game board, I believe that this may be symbolic to the story as a whole.

The old woman in the house in the woods takes her last breath. Or is it really her last breath? I wonder what will happen. I hope my suggestions are accurate. I wonder if Jason will make it out alive. Is he in any harm?

I am enjoying this novel thus far. I hope it continues to be suspenseful!

No comments:

Post a Comment