Sunday, October 10, 2010

Solarium, Souvenirs, and Maggot

This will only be a short blurb because we have to answer questions pertaining to the second half of the novel. Once I post the final blog, it will be an in-depth version of what I have already started. Capeesh!

Solarium

Black Swan Green continues to be a novel that adds something new to its already weird demeanor. Nothing is adding up so far and Jason seizes to amaze me every time. In this chapter, we meet another character. Madame Crommelynck seems to be an inspiration for Jason and his writing. He begins to discover who he really is and he truly wants his writing to flourish. She breaks down what beauty is and whether beauty defines something or something defines beauty.

What does maggot mean?

"Little naked ants” (151). Mitchell is marvelous at describing even the smallest things. I just love the imagery that comes to mind when I read this line.

I find myself re-reading lines and sometimes passages to understand exactly what is going on. Jason sometimes confuses me because I am unable to realize if he is speaking from a dream or reality.

Souvenirs

Jason goes into explicit details to describe his father’s dangling penis. The vivid images have stuck in my head since and I have hard time trying to figure out why he went into such details. This led me to predict that he and Dawn Madden might have sex by the end of the novel. I am cheating my prediction because I read the back flap of the book to get a gist of what the novel is about. I wish I had not, but this is one way to find out if the book is interesting. Some other strategies would be to read a few pages of the book, ask a friend if they have read it before, or read an online review.

I wonder why his dad decided to fly the kite with him. Do you think he feels guilty of not spending time with him?

Maggot

As the novel advances, Jason stammering gets worst. Could this suggest that he may be getting into trouble? Is he nervous about something? Jason is becoming a dweeb.

As I predicted in my last post, Debbie Crombie is pregnant. Like a typical military man that leaves to fight for his country, Tom Yew wanted to leave behind a history of him. I knew she was pregnant because of prior experiences of my friend’s boyfriends and girlfriends whose boyfriends go across sees and nine months later, they have a baby.

Jason head is getting bloated. I believe that we will no longer think of himself as a maggot and go after Dawn Madden since a bus driver suggested he needs a pretty girl so that others will be jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment